Both rush grass and copper are sensitive to humidity and moisture, so we don't recommend to use our rush basket in the bathroom or other humid space.
And both rush grass and copper are durable materials, when looked after properly they last for decades. Here are a few tips to care for your rush grass basket.
- Do not wash in water. Triangle rush is very absorbent, excess water can lead to mould. Avoid excessive exposure to humid environments.
- To clean or remove stains, simply use a clean damp cloth to wipe the surface then leave it to dry in a warm place.
- In the case of mould, first remove the mould by lightly brushing with a soft brush then wipe it clean with a clean damp cloth and leave it to dry in a warm place.
- When exposed to direct sunlight the grass will yield an aromatic quality whilst maintaining the colour of the product
- Exposure to strong sunlight will dry the rush grass and make it brittle. Avoiding folding or bending the product after being exposed to sunlight for long periods of time.
- Before storing wipe the basket with a clean damp cloth and leave it to dry. After drying place it carefully in an airtight bag.
- Remove the lid or rim from the basket before cleaning.
- Clean it with a mixture of lemon juice and salt gently. Alternatively, you can buy commercial copper cream from your local hardware store.
- Rinse in with warm water and dry immediately and completely with a clean towel.
- Make sure it's completely dry before placing it back on the rush grass basket.